Late last week, Rogers went on record and indicated that it had some kind of plan in the works to allow HTC Dream owners to upgrade to the HTC Magic so that Magic owners may take part in the Android OS update that Rogers/HTC decided to finally provide.
If you were not keeping up with the Rogers/customer/HTC drama, I will summarize it here:
What originally happened was both HTC and Rogers had cut support for either device in terms of updates to Android 1.6. Then Rogers/HTC had a change of heart and said that they will update the HTC Magic but not the HTC Dream, claiming hardware limitations.
The new update is said to bring the SenseUI to the HTC Magic but will keep the OS at 1.5. More importantly, the Magic will be receiving Android 2.1! The Dream however, while receiving some kind of update (which was not disclosed what exactly), will stay at 1.5 due to the aforementioned hardware limitations.
So, with that being said, we now have the details of the Rogers plan for HTC Dream owners. I will detail it below:
When can I upgrade my HTC Dream to the HTC Magic?
- The upgrade offer is available between January 12 2010 and January 26 2010.
Am I eligible to upgrade to the HTC Magic from my HTC Dream?
- Any Rogers customer who activated or upgraded to a new Rogers HTC Dream through December 31 2009 is eligible for the HTC Magic upgrade. Normally HTC Dream owners would have to wait 24 months to upgrade to another smartphone, but Rogers is changing the policy for a limited time.
- The upgrade will require a 3-year contract renewal with a voice and data plan effective the date of the upgrade.
I own a HTC Magic. How do I upgrade from the HTC Dream to the HTC Magic?
- The HTC Magic device upgrade must be done through Customer Care, which may be contacted at 1-888-Rogers1 or by dialing *611 on your Rogers mobile device.
- Current HTC Dream owners may also use Rogers.com to upgrade (it will be faster over the phone though).
- The upgrade offer will NOT be honored at retail. In other words, do not go to your local Rogers dealer and expect this to work.
How much will this cost me?
- The regular upgrade price of $79.00 for the HTC Magic plus the $35 administration fee will both be waived (in other words, it will cost you nothing in terms of dollars).
Other than the unfortunate requirement of having to renew the contract on a 3-year term, the offer is not that bad considering the HTC Magic will be free. Dream owners, are you going to upgrade?
Did you like the post?